Home › Recipe of the Month
Recipe of the Month
Bluberry Cornbread Muffins
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice (see note)
- 1-1/2 cups all purpose flour, spooned into measuring cup and leveled-off
- 1/2 cup yellow cornmeal
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup blueberries (see note)
- 2 large eggs
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Zest of 1 lemon (about 1-1/2 teaspoons)
- 1 stick unsalted butter, melted
- Preheat the oven to 350°F degrees. Line a muffin pan with paper liners (don't skip the liners or the blueberries will stick to the pan).
- Combine the milk and lemon juice. Let sit for 10 minutes.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder, and salt.
- Place the blueberries in a small bowl and toss with 1 teaspoon of the flour mixture. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk/lemon mixture, vanilla and lemon zest. Add to the dry ingredients, along with the melted butter. Stir until just blended; and then stir in the blueberries. Do not overmix.
- Spoon the batter evenly into the prepared muffin pan, filling each cup very full. Bake for 28 to 30 minutes, or until the tops are set and golden around the edges. Cool the muffins for a few minutes in the pan, then serve warm with butter or transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Notes:Be sure to zest the lemon before juicing it. Don't be tempted to increase the blueberries: one cup is just the right amount -- if you jam-pack the muffins with berries, they'll be too tart and wet