Recipe of the Month
Easy Chicken Fried Rice
· 2 eggs, lightly beaten
· 1 tsp sesame oil
· 1 tbsp peanut oil
· 3 dried Chinese pork sausages, thinly sliced (see note)
· 1 medium brown onion, finely chopped
· 2 garlic cloves, crushed
· 4cm piece fresh ginger, peeled, finely grated
· 1 long red chilli, finely chopped (optional)
· 2 tbsp shao hsing (Chinese rice wine)
· 1 tsp white sugar
· 5 cups cold cooked white long-grain rice
· 1 1/2 cups shredded cooked chicken
· 2 tbsp salt-reduced soy sauce
· 1 tbsp oyster sauce
· 1/2 cup frozen peas
· 2 green onions, thinly sliced
Combine eggs and half the sesame oil in a jug. Heat a wok over high heat. Add peanut oil. Swirl to coat. Add half the egg mixture. Swirl to cover base of wok. Cook for 30 seconds or until just set. Transfer to a board. Repeat with remaining egg. Roughly chop egg.
Return wok to heat. Add sausage and onion to wok. Stir-fry for 2 to 3 minutes or until sausage has browned. Add garlic, ginger and chilli, if using. Stir-fry for 1 minute or until fragrant. Add rice wine and sugar. Stir-fry for 30 seconds.
Add rice, chicken, sauces, peas and remaining sesame oil. Stir-fry for 2 minutes or until heated through. Add egg. Toss to combine. Serve sprinkled with green onion.