Recipe of the Month
Courtesy of Allison Johnson
This is a classic Italian pasta dish. Use fresh basil when it's in season at other times use fresh flat-leaf parsley.
• 4 slices bacon, diced
• 1/2 cup chopped onion
• 1 teaspoon minced garlic
• 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
• 2 (14.5 ounce) cans stewed tomatoes
• 1 pound linguine pasta, uncooked
• 1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil
• 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
1. Cook diced bacon in a large saucepan over medium high heat until crisp, about 5 minutes.
2. Add onions, and cook over medium heat about 3 minutes. Stir in garlic and red pepper flakes; cook 30 seconds. Add canned tomatoes, undrained; simmer 10 minutes, breaking up tomatoes.
3. Meanwhile, cook the pasta in a large pot of 4 quarts boiling salted water until al dente. Drain.
4. Stir basil into the sauce, and then toss with cooked pasta. Serve with grated Parmesan cheese.