Recipe of the Month
Blueberry & Lavender Scone Pizza
For the scone
- 2 3/4 cups all-purpose flour , sifted + a little extra for dusting
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 5 tsp baking powder
- 6 tbsp unsalted butter , softened
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tsp dried lavender , crushed
- 1 lemon , finely grated zest only
- 3.4 cup whole milk , room temperature
For the topping
- 2 x o-oz/227 g jars of clotted cream or crème fraîche
- 1 tsp vanilla bean paste
- 5 tbsp blueberry jam
- 1 cup fresh blueberries
- finely grated zest of half a lemon
1. Preheat the oven to 400°F and line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. Pop the flour into a large bowl, along with the salt and baking powder, and mix well. Add the butter and rub it into the flour using your fingertips until there are no large traces left. Add the sugar, dried lavender, and lemon zest and mix.
3. Make a well in the center and add the milk. Using a rubber spatula, mix until it starts to form a dough. Gently bring the dough together with your hands. Tip it out onto a lightly floured surface and form the dough into a mound, but resist the temptation to knead or the scone will become chewy rather than soft and crumbly.
4. Put the mound into the center of the prepared sheet—this just saves a messy transfer once the dough is rolled out. Using a rolling pin or the back of your hand, press the dough out to an 8-inch/20cm circle about ¾ inch/2cm thick. If you want, trim the edges, though I prefer not to as I like the edges rough.
5. Now, using a sharp knife, cut the circle like a pizza into 12 slices, cutting all the way down and all the way through. Pop into the oven and bake for 15 minutes. The scone should be golden around the edges, a little less so toward the center, and firm to the touch.
6. Let cool completely on the sheet. As soon as it is cool enough, pop it onto your chosen serving dish.
7. Mix the clotted cream and vanilla bean paste together. Add the jam and ripple it through.
8. Spread the mixture all over the scone, leaving a ½-inch/1cm gap around the edge. Top with blueberries, scatter with lemon zest, and you are ready to serve!